SEND Information Report

Special Educational Needs (SEN) is a legal term. It describes the needs of a child who has a difficulty or disability which makes learning harder for them than for other children their age. A disability is a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities and causes a difficulty or barrier to learn or to access the curriculum.

We provide SEN support for pupils with significant needs in the following areas:

Cognition and Learning
Communication and Interaction
Social, mental and emotional health
Sensory and/or Physical

The four categories that the school caters for can be classified into core, additional and high needs,

where some children only require minimal interventions and support while others need additional

support to raise the level of their learning. A few children, generally those who have existing

Statements of Special Educational Needs or Education Health and Care Plans (EHCP) require high needs.

SEN Intentions

SEN Finance

SEND Policies




Special Educational Needs Coordinator – the person in school responsible for managing children with SEND
PLP Personal Learning Plan


SEND Special Educational Needs and Disabilities


SALT Speech and Language Therapy/Speech and Language Therapist


EP Educational Psychology/Educational Psychologist


STT Specialist Teaching Team Service


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice: 0-25 years This Code of Practice is statutory guidance for organisations who work with and support children and young people with SEN and their parents.
LTLC Outreach Lincolnshire Teaching and Learning Centre Pathways Outreach Team


SILCS Sensory Impairment Lincolnshire County Services


PT Physiotherapist


OT Occupational Therapist


CAMHS Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service


Statement A document provided by the Local Authority which outlines a child’s special educational needs and the support that they require
EHC Plan Education, Health and Care Plan (replacing Statements from September 2014)


PIVATS Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting


SAT Standard Assessment Tests


TAC Team Around the Child


ESCO Early Support Care Coordination


CIN Child in Need


CP Child Protection


ICT Information Communication Technology


EAL English as an Additional Language


AD(H)D Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorder

What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

Your first point of contact should be your child’s class teacher. Concerns can be discussed at parents’ evenings which are held twice a year, or by making an appointment to meet with your child’s class teacher at any point throughout the school year.

This information will then can passed on to the relevant staff members within the school.

Class/subject teacher
Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Head of School and SENCO (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) know as necessary.
  • Writing Provision Maps of Intervention and PLPS (Personal Learning Plans), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all staff members working with your child in school are supported to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

Responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with SEND and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:

–          involved in supporting your child’s learning

–          kept informed about the support your child is getting

–          involved in reviewing how they are doing

  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy (SALT), Educational Psychology (EP), etc.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

Head of School and/or Executive Head teacher 
Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • S/he will give responsibility to the SENCO and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • S/he must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

SEN Governor
Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.


If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCO and/or Head of School.

You can also refer to the ‘Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice: 0-25 years’ for statutory guidance for organisations who work with and support children and young people with SEND and their parents.

How will the school respond to my concern?

The class teacher will listen to any concerns you may have at a pre-arranged meeting. If your concern cannot be met at that meeting then the class teacher will take some time to look into the concern and liaise with the SENCO and/or Head of School. A follow up meeting will be arranged to ensure your concern is addressed and to plan any additional support your child may receive. If relevant at this stage, possible referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning will be discussed.

How will the school decide if my child needs extra support?

If your child is identified as making limited progress within any of the four broad areas of need (Cognition & Learning; Communication & Interaction; Social, Emotional & Mental Health; Sensory &/or Physical) in the ‘Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 to 25 years’ the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  •  listen to any concerns you may have too
  •  plan any additional support your child may receive
  •  discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning

How do I get a diagnosis for my child?

Children do not just receive a ‘diagnosis’ of special educational needs. Children will only receive a diagnosis if they have a medical need.

If you are concerned that your child has a medical need such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or Autism, you can make an appointment with your General Practitioner expressing your concerns and the need for your child to be referred to the Community Paediatrician. The SENCO can also make a direct referral to the Community Paediatrician. If the referral is accepted, you will receive an appointment with a paediatrician, who will give you further information and an assessment may begin.

If you are concerned that your child has a learning difficulty such as Dyslexia or Dyscalculia, the SENCO can make a referral to the STT. A Specialist Teacher works at our school half a day every two weeks. She can identify if a pupil has difficulties consistent with Dyslexia or Dyscalculia and provide advice about how best to support their needs.

If you are concerned that your child has a speech and language difficulty, the SENCO can make a referral to the SALT based at the Johnson Community Hospital. A therapist may then assess and identify if a pupil has a specific speech and/or language difficulty and provide advice about how best to support their needs.

Referral time can vary depending upon the professional/agency involved. Referrals to the NHS (Community Paediatrics and SALT) take considerably longer, on average it can take between three to four months to receive an appointment. Not all pupils will receive a diagnosis and/or decision. Where diagnoses are made, this can take a considerable time depending upon the individual. In many cases, a diagnosis follows several appointments, which could take more than a year.

With or without a diagnosis we will put support in place for your child. If it is very clear that a pupil has a difficulty we will do everything that we can to support them.

If a diagnosis is made, we will ask advice from the relevant outside agencies/professional about how best to help the pupil. This advice will be identified on the pupil’s PLP and shared with you and/or discussed at a meeting. We will put this advice in place straight away or once the relevant resources/equipment has been purchased.

What opportunities will there be to discuss my child’s achievement? How will I know how well my child is progressing?

Your child will have two formal opportunities at Parents’ Evenings to meet with your child’s class teacher to discuss strengths, weaknesses, progress, etc. Further opportunities to meet with the class teacher can be made throughout the year if you or the class teacher has any further concerns.

A child identified on the SEND register as having SEN Support will also have these same opportunities with the addition of discussing and reviewing targets and intervention in the child’s Provision Map of Intervention or PLP. Additional SEN Support meetings may be required throughout the year especially when there is the involvement of outside professionals/agencies. These may also be called ‘Team Around the Child’ meetings, ‘Child In Need’ meetings or ‘Child Protection’ meetings, or ‘Early Support Care Coordination’ meetings.

If your child has an EHC Plan then they will have reviews on a minimum of a yearly basis to discuss in detail the individual needs of your child and ensuring the right provision is in place.

For some children with SEND a home-school communication book can be a good link for both parties to learn more about your child on a daily basis ranging from any concerns, updates on positive learning and behaviour, etc.

How does the school know how well my child is doing?

  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • In their Reception year they are assessed based on the Early Learning Goals Ages and Stages.
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level given in reading, writing, numeracy and science.
  • If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called ‘P levels’. We also use Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting (PIVATS) to assess in smaller steps for all children identified with SEND. These will be identified with each PLP.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATs). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Children with SEND will have a Provision Map of Intervention or PLP which will be reviewed with your involvement, every term and the plan for the next term made.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
  • Outside professionals/agencies also provide school with further in depth assessments. These are usually from the EP, STT, SALT.

What will the school do to support my child?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.
For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class within well differentiated ability groups. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside professionals/agencies) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that if your child has gap in their understanding/learning then extra support will be put in place to help them make the best possible progress.

All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

Specific group work within a smaller group of children
This group or one to one support may be:

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching Assistant who has had training to run these groups.

Stage of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice: SEN Support 
This means they have been identified by the class teacher and/or SENCO as needing some extra support in school which could include the support from outside professionals/agencies.

For your child this could mean:

  • He/ She will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress.
  • A Teaching Assistant/teacher or outside professional (like a SALT) will run these small group/individual sessions
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a SALT or EP. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with you, your child, class teacher and SENCO to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

–          Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better

–          Support to set specific targets which will include their expertise

–          A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group

This type of support is available for a child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning and who therefore has been identified as requiring SEN Support.

Specialist individual/group support
AND/OR individual support for your child of less than 20 hours in school

Outside professionals/agencies could include:

  • the Social and Communication Outreach Specialist Teacher
  • the Lincolnshire Teaching and Learning Centre Pathways Outreach Team (LTLC Outreach)
  • the Sensory Impairment Lincolnshire County Services (SILCS)
  • the Speech and Language Therapist (SALT)
  • the Educational Psychologist (EP)
  • the Physiotherapist (PT)
  • the Occupational Therapist  (OT)
  • the School Nurse
  • the Community Paediatrician
  • the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
  • the Specialist Teaching Team Service (STT)

The school may suggest that your child needs some individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies can be put in place.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups and who therefore has been identified as requiring SEN Support.

Specified Individual support
This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan (replacing Statement of Special Educational Needs). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional/s outside the school (as mentioned above).

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out an Education, Health and Care assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school has submitted the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child), a panel of professionals address this referral at an EHC Allocation Meeting and decide whether an assessment is to happen (the panel meet once a week). An outcome will be given usually within the first 6 weeks from when the request was made. If it is agreed that an assessment should take place then relevant agencies will be asked to write reports and submit these usually within 6 weeks of the request being made.
  • A Multi-Agency Meeting (MAM) is then held to write a draft EHC Plan. This is held at a location accessible to all (usually the school) and is led by the Local Authority caseworker. Parents and all relevant professionals involved with the child will be invited to attend.
  • Finally, an EHC Multi-Agency HUB meeting is held to finally decide whether the draft plan generated at the MAM has been agreed or not and therefore whether an EHC Plan is necessary or not. From there the Local Authority contacts parents to name the school they would like on the EHC Plan. Parents have 15 days to respond. The Local Authority then contacts the school to see if they can meet the needs of the child. This whole process can take up to 20 weeks.

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

  • Severe, complex and lifelong
  • If your child receives SEN Support or has an EHC plan you will be invited to termly SEN reviews to discuss a Personal Learning Plan (PLP) or Provision Map of Intervention which will go through your child’s strengths and difficulties and set targets for them to achieve. Where possible and appropriate your child will sit in on these meetings. Children will always have their targets shared and agreed with them. Children with an EHC plan will also have an Annual Review to discuss how well they are doing, the progress they are making and next steps including targets and the type of support they will receive.

Who will support my child in school?

  • Qualified and experienced teachers
  • Experienced and skilled teaching assistants
  • Higher level teaching assistants
  • Volunteers
  • Peer support
  • Outside professionals/agencies

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met. They have the children’s Provision Maps of Intervention and PLPs alongside their planning to ensure children with SEND individual’s needs are met.
  • Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis, if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs
  • Waves of SupportThe waves of intervention model describes how different levels of intervention can be understood and systematically implemented.
  • Wave 1 describes quality inclusive teaching which takes into account the learning needs of all the children in the classroom. This includes providing differentiated work and creating an inclusive learning environment.
  • Wave 2 describes specific, additional and time-limited interventions provided for some children who need help to accelerate their progress to enable them to work at or above age-related expectations. Wave 2 interventions are often targeted at a group of pupils with similar needs. Programmes such as Early Literacy Support or Springboard would be regarded as Wave 2 interventions.
  • Wave 3 describes targeted provision for a minority of children where it is necessary to provide highly tailored intervention to accelerate progress or enable children to achieve their potential. This may include one to one or specialist interventions.

How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

The Reception class teacher does some pre-school visits in the summer term before the children enter our school in Reception class. She speaks with your child and their key workers to gain as much information about your child as possible. If your child has already been identified as having special educational needs then the SENCO will have been invited to attend a meeting at the pre-school setting. Your child will also have visits to our school in the summer term where they will get to meet the teachers, other children that will be starting the school with them and the new school environment.

Each year at our school, your child will have the opportunity to meet with their next class teacher in their new classroom. On-going meetings, Provision Maps of Intervention, PLPs, reports, etc, are shared with the next class teacher so they are aware of and able to continue with the support required.

How will the school prepare and support my child to transfer to a new setting/school?


We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

  • If your child is moving to another school:

–          We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.

–          We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

  • When moving classes in school:

–          Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All Provision Maps of Intervention and PLPs will be shared with the new teacher.

–          Additional support to take account of children’s individual needs can be arranged, e.g. a child friendly book of photos and additional information to support the transition from one setting to another.

  • In Year 6:

–          Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.

–          A member of staff from the secondary school settings comes to visit and meet with the children who will be attending their school. Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school. Many hold open evenings for parents to attend in order to support your decision making process about which school is the right choice for your child.

–          If your child has already been identified as having special educational needs, then a member of staff (usually the SENCO) will be invited to attend a meeting at our school.

How can I be involved in supporting my child?

You can support your child by attending parents’ evenings, helping them to complete their homework to a good standard and on time, ensuring your child gets to school on time and with all the appropriate equipment, talking to the class teacher if you have any concerns about your child, providing lots of opportunities to speak and have conversations with your child, read and practise number skills. Teachers are more than happy to share any ideas they have with you so you can top up the learning at home.

What training and expertise do staff have for the additional support my child needs?

Class teachers/Head of School/Executive Head teacher/SENCO:

  • Experienced teachers
  • A Physical Education specialist teacher working across classes in KS1 and KS2 and after school clubs
  • All teachers and have been trained to deliver Read, Write, Inc (Phonics programme) 
  • All teachers have had First Quality training in areas of Literacy and Maths delivered by CfBT
  • All teachers have had Team Teach training
  • All teachers have had First Aid training
  • Key members of staff has had Paediatric emergency first aid training
  • Key members of staff have had Safeguarding training
  • All teachers have received up to date training on epilepsy, epi-pen and individual children’s specific needs



  • Experienced SENCO working within two primary schools in the local area
  • Postgraduate qualification at Masters level in the National SEN Coordination Award
  • Qualified teacher status
  • Non-class based


Teaching assistants:

  • All teaching assistants trained to deliver Literacy and Maths intervention programmes
  • All teaching assistants trained to deliver Read, Write, Inc Phonics
  • Key teaching assistants have been trained to deliver the Colourful Semantics programme (Speech and Language)
  • Two teaching assistants hold Higher Level Teaching Assistant Status
  • Most teaching assistants have had first aid training
  • Key teaching assistants have had Paediatric emergency first aid training
  • All teaching assistants have received up to date training on epilepsy, epi-pen and individual

children’s specific needs



  • A sports specialist for additional sports clubs
  • Use of volunteers to support children with extra reading within the school day


Awards and Quality Marks:

  • Healthy Schools
  • ActiveMark 2008
  • Food for Life Partnership

The SENCO’s job is to support and advise the class teacher in planning for children with SEND. The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder and Speech and Language difficulties. Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside professional/agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the Social Communication Outreach Service, Speech and Language Service, Educational Psychology.

Who else might be involved in supporting my child?


Directly funded by the school:

  • Non-class based SENCO
  • STT
  • Sports specialist for additional sports clubs

Paid for centrally by the Local Authority or NHS but delivered in school:

  • Social Communication Outreach Service
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Impairment Lincolnshire County Services (SILCS)
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Speech and Language Therapy (SALT)
  • the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)

What support will there be for my child’s emotional and social well-being?

If your child has a long or short term medical illness then please refer to the Medical Needs and Intimate Care policies which outline the level of care and support provided at our school.

Children can talk to any member of staff if they have a concern or a worry regarding friendships and social activities.

Our themed assemblies and lessons using the SEAL (Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning) framework support the children’s personal development. Outside professionals/agencies support within all areas including social, mental and emotional health, such as Social Communication Outreach and the Lincolnshire Teaching and Learning Centre Pathways Outreach.

Our school has a behaviour policy which outlines a firm but fair approach for all children. Rewards and sanctions can also be personalised to suit a child’s particular needs.

We offer a variety of after school and before school clubs which change termly. There are opportunities with the additional funding of Pupil Premium to ensure children can access after school clubs and trips.

Please see provision map to show all the support and intervention that happens within out school for all of our children.

How will my child be involved in the process and be able to contribute their views?

Your child will be able to contribute at all SEND reviews should the child be old enough and/or be able to contribute. They can have their views and needs expressed at the reviews, discussions with the class teacher or their views can be sought through pupil interviews, informal discussions, through The Feelings Art book, etc.

How will my child be involved in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

Your child will be allowed to attend any school club allocated to their specific year group. We endeavour to make all activities accessible for all. Where there may be some extra arrangements to be made you can arrange to meet with the club leader to ensure safety and inclusivity for your child.

How accessible is the school environment? How accessible is the curriculum?


Our school has enough laptops for a class (1 laptop between 2 children). We also have laptops that can be used for a certain purpose or for a certain need of a child. All classrooms have at least 2 computers in the classroom. Ipads are also accessible for approximately one between two children.

How can I access support for myself and my family?

By looking at the Local Authority’s website, you will see a list of all the services available to you and your child. You can arrange to meet with our SENCO who might also be able to point you in the right direction.

Who can I contact for further information?

Mr A Raistrick – Executive Head teacher (appointment to be made)

Mr R Chipperfield – Head of School available  (appointment to be made)

Class teachers – available five days a week (appointment to be made for more formal meetings)

Keystone Academy Trust Website

Part of the Keystone Academy Trust

© 2021 Surfleet Primary School Privacy Policy Made by CODA Education